Pages

Relaxing?

Monday, March 28, 2011


So as stated in my earlier post - Sunday was pool day.  Ever notice how much stuff you need to tote over to the pool and heaven forbid the beach.  It can be daunting.  So here's some suggestions from yours truly to make it effortless.

1) Pool/Beach bag - whatever bag you already own that you don't use everyday - make it your pool/beach bag.  You can use a reusable shopping bag which you can pick up at your local supermarket for 99 cents.  Keep your sunscreen, sunglasses (if you have more than one pair), beach towels, etc. in this bag at all times.  Wash the towels and shove them right back in the bag.  Keep the bag in your car, closet, where ever it is convenient. 

2) Water - going alone?  No need for a cooler.  Freeze bottles of water and have one in the frig.  By the time you are ready for a second bottle - it's melted and ice cold.  Also tote the bottles back home and fill them up for next time.

3) Kids toys/floats/chairs - I don't have any kids but I have plenty of nieces to amuse.  So during the summer I keep all of the floaties, toys, etc in my trunk for easy assess - no need to load them up every time and you won't forget anything at home.  If you have to tote your beach chairs...rinse them and leave them in the trunk too!

4) So you need a cooler - More people = more drinks.  Yesterday, I needed a cooler since a few people were joining me at the pool - with no cooler in sight and being at the beginning of "summer" no coolers on sale I turned to a quick fix.  I used a hot/cold bag that I already had in my garage.  I'm pretty sure I picked it up at Sams for $3 - just added ice and drinks pool side- instant cooler.  When we were ready to leave I just dumped the ice and water in the grass - no need for a hefty cooler.

5) Easy pool drinks - Yesterday I was in the mood for a frozen drink but I don't drink alcohol often so I didn't want to buy a bottle of anything and for fear the mixers alone tasted gross I skipped the frozen drinks.  Well now with some online searching I have found some great non-alcoholic fun pool side drinks.


6 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 6oz container frozen limeade concentrate
3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 16oz bottle lemon-lime carbonated beverage, chilled
2 cups ice cubes


If using fresh strawberries, remove stems and caps. For frozen strawberries, thaw the berries after measuring; do not drain.
Place strawberries, half at a time, in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Transfer blended berries to a large pitcher. Stir in limeade concentrate and light rum or pineapple juice. Cover; chill until serving time.
Just before serving, stir in the lemon-lime carbonated beverage and the ice. If desired, garnish with whole berries. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip
Combine blended berries with concentrate and rum or pineapple juice. Cover and chill up to 4 hours. Add carbonated beverage and ice just before serving.

4 oz cream of coconut
4 oz pineapple juice
2 cups ice

Add the cream of coconut, ice, and pineapple juice to the blender.
Beat or mix until ice is crushed.
Pour into two 8 ounce glasses.

Mix 1 large can of pink lemonade with 1-1/2 quarts of sparkling water and stir until dissolve. Add 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves and cloves, stir. Serve with crushed ice in a tall glass.

6) Fight the boredom - going alone?  Magazines can help fight boredom because face it laying out gets boring.  If you want to save your money - try listening to an audio book.  You can download or borrow books on CD from your local library.  So you can lay in the sun with your eyes closed and still "read" a good book.

7) Snacks- I normally don't eat when I go to the pool but if you need some snacks try for some fresh fruit.

8) Make a mess? - Don't forget to clean up - our neighborhood pool is almost a resort but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be responsible - move a chair? - move it back! Of course - throw your trash away especially if you are at the beach!

9) Trying to get a tan?  Sunscreen....lay out 30 mins....dip in the pool/water to cool down and repeat.

10) Relax! - You're at the pool/beach HAVE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!

 
site design by designer blogs