Pages

Shia's Healthy New Lifestyle Day 7

Sunday, February 7, 2010

So I've check out the Natural Health for Women by Beth McEoin and I have found loads of helpful tips. So today is all about healthy self without OTC medication. I suffer from sinus headaches often. I had a really bad one last week. It literally felt like my eye was about to burst. So when I went to look through the book I turned directly to natural treatments for sinusitis it was like I heard angels singing...ahhhhh when I read the page. Common symptoms of sinusitis is pain that settles above or below the eyes and around the cheekbones; recurrent headaches with a tired feeling around the eyes. This doesn't seem so bad when I type it but believe me it is agony. Oh btw...sometimes OTC medicines work and sometimes I take tons of them and NOTHING ... PAIN! However, the OTC meds will raise your blood pressure so it's really not good for me to have to take it twice a day or even two days in a row. So when I found these natural treatments you can now understand my enthusiasm.

Aromatherapy

Make this natural decongestant: Blend of essential oils and gently massage a little around the base of the nostrils and the throat. Add 2 drops of each: eucalyptus, pine and sweet marjoram to 2 teaspoon fulls of carrier oil (I have no idea where to get this but believe me I will find out and report back)

Naturopathy

Get as much fresh air as possible, this will soothe inflamed, blocked and congested nasal passages.

Use a humidifier to counteract the dryness that results from living in a centrally heated environment. Don't want to buy a humidifier... apparently you can use your radiators by placing a bowl of water by each and just refill as the water evaporates.

Nutritional Approaches

Avoid dairy foods (while you're having a sinus problem) because dairy foods aggravate sinus congestion because of their tendency to stimulate mucus production.

Treat sugary foods with caution for the same reason.

Include as much fresh garlic in your diet as possible in order to benefit from its natural anti-viral and antibiotic properties.

Increase your intake of fresh, raw or lightly cooked fruits and vegetables during cold and flu season. Bright red, yellow, orange and dark green fruits and vegetables are rich in anti-oxidants, as well as Vitamins A, C & E and have been shown to help our immune systems fight infection.

I can't say that I am looking forward to my next sinus headache but I'm definitely going to try all of these tips for curing it without Sudafed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!

 
site design by designer blogs