Pages

Sad Moment

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Today was Marissa's birthday party - at the park where Marrissa was having her first part of her party (they were going to the movies at a small local theater after) a little girl came up to me and asked if we were having a birthday party. I told her that it was Marissa birthday and she told me that she gave out 24 invitations to her birthday party and no one came. It was really sad the stuff she was telling me I felt really bad for her - she said she was 8 - she was dirty and had no shoes on - I told her she could play with everyone and have cake. A few mins later she came up to me - she apparently went home and brought Marissa back a doll - I told her that she didn't have to give Marissa anything to come to the party but she insisted - she was such a sweet little girl. So while she was hanging out with all of us she heard the other kids talking about going to the movies - she asked me if she could go - well there's no way we are taking off with a kid - so instead of saying no I said I would need to talk to her mom - she ran home and came back with an adult who looked more like her grandma than her mom - I spoke to the woman who was more concerned about not being able to pay for the movie than me being a stranger. I told her not to worry about paying that I would pay for her to go and that she could ride with me over to the movies. She rode in my car with Marissa and my sister Nicole and she was so happy to be a part of the group. While we were at the movies she kept asking me if she could go to the bathroom so I went with her she kept insisting that I didn't have to wait on her but I told her that I was looking after her so I needed to go with her - well at one point Kaelyn (my 2 yr old niece said she had to go potty) so I took her to the bathroom and left the girl with my sister Debra. Debra came out and told me that the girl asked her something weird and Debra couldn't hear her well but that she thought she said something about seeing blood when she went to the bathroom. I went back into the movie and asked her to come out and before I could even say anything to her she asked me if it was normal for a little girl to bleed when she peed- I asked her how old she was - this time she said she was 9 - she's a very small thin little girl so I was a little hesitant to think it was her first period - I questioned her a little bit and didn't know what to do so I told her to go back and watch the movie (small room - basically only Marissa's party was there) then I told my other sister Nicole about what the girl said (meanwhile Debra is googling if a girl can have a period at 8 or 9 and I even called my mom to see what she thought) Nicole and I were afraid that something bad has happened to this sweet little girl - Nicole and I took her to the restroom and tried to talk to her - we basically ask her if anyone has touched her or hurt her - she gets extremely uncomfortable - which I am torn - these are uncomfortable questions - but after a few questions she does tell me that she gets slapped and that she recently had a black eye - so we reassure her that she will be ok and then let her go back to watch the movie - at this point what the heck are we going to do so we talk to a few more moms and everyone agrees something is not right - apparently this little girl is alone a lot at the park and people call the police a lot because she is always alone and outside late (my sister is a 911 operator but she works nights - the other moms work day shifts so they were familiar with her). So one of the moms husband is a police officer and he is at the movies - we tell him and he calls it in because he is also thinking something is wrong. When the police show up after the movie the little girl freaks out and starts crying and tells everyone that the police are here to take her away - I try to calm her down and tell her that the police are just here to make sure she is ok and to see if she needs to go to the doctor.  A female officer took her to talk and to have an initial check.  Meanwhile, another police officer went to pick up the mom.  Within a few minutes, they were headed to the hospital. 

Part of me left bad like what if this little girl did just get her first period - I am making it the most traumatic experience of her life then there is a bigger side of me thinking that if something is happening to her that I could never live with myself not knowing I didn't make sure she was okay.  Also, if something bad is happening to this little girl - I am so happy I was able to help her get out of the bad situation.  Who knows what else could happen to her.  The police were well aware of who she was when they arrived because they have been to her house many times.  

Since my sister is a 911 dispatcher, she knows all the police officers and she called one to get a follow up.  Apparently whatever was found at the emergency room warranted them to call DCF (Department of Children and Family) the officer said that they had to wait for the report from DCF but that something is definitely not right in the situation.  

So I am not sure right now what will happen to this little girl and I feel so bad for her....children are so innocent and it just hurts to know that someone would neglect or hurt a child.  I know that it's extremely odd that her mom let her go to the movies with complete strangers but it's a small town...the movies are two blocks away from this park and it's like a 2 screen operation...no stadium seating...just small town theater...I was just felt sorry for her more than I cared about the weirdest.  My sister did say to me...I bet your happy you invited her now...I said I am happy....I help this girl.  If I hadn't been there that day at the park...she would have had no one to talk to about this.  

I told my mom that even though I don't want kids I am sort of like the child whisperer...I am really great with kids...and kids love me.  I am so grateful that she reached out to me at the park and even though her day ended with some drama and a trip to the hospital which will be followed with probably even more drama...I have made a difference in this little girl's life.  She will get the care and support that she needs now because I took a moment to care about her instead of just brushing her off and a strange kid alone at the park.  

I will post an update when I find out.

4 comments:

  1. That's terrible! But good job for taking care of her and doing what you think is best!

    I tagged you- http://seventhingsbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/03/11-things-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- I'm so glad you were able to help that little girl. It is so awful that children have to go through stuff like that. One of my good friends from when I was little was abused by her stepdad. She moved away when I was in junior high. I just remember my dad trying to explain to me why she had to move away (her mom was leaving town to get away from him). It breaks my heart. Please keep me posted on this little girl!! I'll be praying for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I can definitely understand how you're unsure if it's just her first period or something...

    But there's no doubt in my mind that you absolutely did the right thing. I'm really proud to call you a blogger that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As difficult as it is, you did the right thing. More people should notice and care. Whether she was abused or not, there was obvious neglect and something needed to be one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!

 
site design by designer blogs