Pages

Does Muscle Weigh More Than Fat?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's like that joke which weighs more 1,000 pounds of metal or a 1,000 pounds of feathers. Duh ...it's the same, a 1,000 pounds is 1,000 pounds! Honestly though it is a total weight loss lie that we are accustom to telling ourselves. Last night I almost told myself this white lie and believed it. I've been walking at lunch. No easy walk either... bridges are involved see previous post for visual. However, I've only lost 10 pounds and I've been starting to feel like it's not working. I guess I want and need to see drastic results overnight. So after weighing myself and not seeing some huge change in the numbers I started to think...well maybe I just have MORE muscle hence the whole white lie. I then got out my trusty measuring tape and wrote down my measurements and compared them to my measurements of a month ago and there was some pretty drastic changes there. I mean in my hips I've lost 2 inches and in my waist I've lost about 4 inches. My upper arm is like an inch and a half smaller and my upper thigh is like 2 inches smaller. So what's the deal? Why only 10 pounds down?

I literally have to remind myself daily that I am doing this for my well being and not for quick results. According to Martica Heaner, M.A., M.Ed., for MSN Health & Fitness, "Some people get overly obsessed about numbers on the scale. If you are happy with the way you look and feel, and you feel like you are improving your fitness and strength, then continue doing what you are doing. Exercise works, and every minute of movement helps your health in some way. Weight loss through working out may be slower than you want, but it’s likely to be longer term solution and a healthier way to trim down and shape up, or at the very least to stave off weight gain over the years." Also, Paul found on Yahoo that someone who is overweight but is active is healthier than a skinny person who does nothing. The skinny person might be thin but their organs are covered with fat! 

I guess hard work will at some point yield results and I mean 10 pounds is a good amount in 2 months, okay that was really hard for me to say because I was totally thinking um no that is only 1.25 pounds a week! Sigh! I'm not giving up I'm just going to now look at other things in my life and see where I need to make some changes. I have given up fast food completely and soda but maybe there's some other stuff that needs to go or get added. Maybe I need to do the monster (Acosta Bridge) every day? If only losing weight was as easy as putting it on...sigh!

On a more positive note, at least I'm TAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate it!

 
site design by designer blogs